Track Hub Support in Ensembl
Whilst Ensembl and the Track Hub Registry supports assembly synonyms, if you wish to use your hub with both Ensembl and UCSC you will need to use the UCSC assembly name in your hub, e.g.
genome hg38 trackDb hg38/trackDb.txt
Whilst we aim to support all the base features of track hubs, many of the other parameters are rarely used or apply only to UCSC's browser. Any options not mentioned in the lists below have not yet been addressed but may be supported in future releases.
The following parameters are supported by Ensembl - where there are differences, these are noted below.
- type - valid settings are: bam, cram, bigBed, bigWig, vcfTabix ('cram' is in addition to UCSC's supported formats)
- visibility - UCSC display settings are mapped as closely as possible to Ensembl styles, but there may be differences owing to options not being available
- color - in addition to the standard RGB values, Ensembl will honour hexadecimal web colours (e.g. ff0099) and Unix named colours (e.g. slateblue).
- altColor - experimental; currently only used on negative values
Grouped tracks are drawn adjacent to one another, but at the moment they are not grouped together visually nor can they be overlaid using the 'container multiWig' option.
- dimensions - the first two dimensions are used to create a configuration matrix, with other dimensions available via a popup menu on each matrix cell
- colorByStrand - see 'color' for supported colour types
- spectrum - currently experimental, so suboptions may not be supported
The following options are specific to the UCSC browser and will be ignored by Ensembl:
- dragAndDrop - Ensembl supports drag-and-drop track reordering, both within the image and on the 'Track Order' page of the browser's configuration panel